Review: The Year of the Great Seventh

Title: The Year of the Great Seventh (Tropic of Cancer #1)
Author: Teresa Orts  Website / Facebook / Goodreads
Source: ARC from author for honest review. The thoughts in this post are mine and have not been persuaded by anyone.
Release Date: July 6, 2013 on Amazon for US

Goodreads Summary & Cover:
Sophie has always felt out of step-an outsider, even amongst friends in her high school with all the hype about celebrity culture. Her life in L.A. seems to have been already written for her, but when her junior year starts, it all takes a drastic turn. When she crosses paths with the school's heartthrob, Nate Werner, they fall for each other in a way neither can understand. What they don't know is that by giving in to their desires, they are unlocking an ancient Egyptian prophecy that threatens to return Earth to the dark ages. To undo the curse, Nate and Sophie embark on an adventure that takes them across the country. But their quest is not only to save the world as they know it. It is also a fight for their very survival. Behind the scenes, there are those that are counting on them to fail.

Thoughts:
 When the author, Teresa Orts, emailed and asked if I would be interested in reading her book and reviewing it, I was kind of shocked. I had never had an author email me with that question before at that point. My initial thought was, "Oh, no! I don't know what to say! I don't know how to say no." However, when I read the synopsis, I was intrigued and was eager to read it at that point.

I'm sorry to say that I put it off and put it off. I really didn't mean to do that! My apologies to Teresa for taking so long.

A big reason that I'm sorry that I put it off for so long is because I did enjoy the story. I liked the Egyptian mythology and that Sophie was trying so hard to find out what was happening to Nate. It took a bit of time, resources, a trip, and someone knowing about the prophecy to help them to figure it out. They were definitely on a mission to save themselves and the world...before time ran out.

There was one issue for me with The Year of the Great Seventh that kind of held me back from completely loving the book. Sophie became absolutely obsessed with Nate after her friends spotted him looking at her and she had a little "vision" type thing happen. In the beginning of the story, they had never communicated and she didn't admit to her friends that she kind of crushed on him. She barely even admitted it to herself! Shortly after that, almost every paragraph talked about how much she liked him and couldn't stay away.

I'm just going to chalk that up to the prophecy and not just insta-love. Sadly, it was a distraction for me.

Alas! Other than that one issue, the rest of the story was entertaining. I like that they were trying to figure out what was happening and how to fix it. The trip to New York was fun for me to read. The plot was great! The plot twist was even better! I was not expecting THAT to happen! I was also not expecting a cliff-hanger at the end. Darn you, Teresa Orts!!! *shakes fist* I really need Book 2. Right now. Okay?

Also, so y'all know, the cover is from a scene in the book. Sophie and Nate are not Hollywood stars, but they do attend a big movie premiere for Sophie's friend, Megan. The cover captures that part so well and I love that's what was used for the cover. It's when they were "officially" together and letting her friends know.

Rating:
The Year of the Great Seventh gets 3 1/2 Mickeys (stars)! I did like the book and was on the verge of really liking it. If I could have had more of the writing from the second half of the book during the first half, it would have been a 4 star, maybe even 4 1/2 stars. The "Sophie obsessing over Nate" bit took a bit away for me. I really did still enjoy the book, though! This is definitely a book worth giving a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment